How to Enroll In a Nursing Program near Bettles Field Alaska
Finding the right nursing college near Bettles Field AK may feel like a complex undertaking, particularly if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and determine the qualifications of each school you are contemplating before enrolling in your final selection. The fact is, too many prospective students base their determination exclusively on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Choosing the least expensive school or the one that is nearest to your house is most likely not the most ideal way to pick a nursing program. There are several key additional factors to check into before you decide where to attend classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first go over what the job of a registered nurse is in our medical system, together with the nursing degree choices that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, namely Bettles Field AK hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary function is to assist doctors in the care of their patients. However, the specific duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization along with where they work. Some of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more complex job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
There are multiple degrees offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or continue on to earn a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Bettles Field AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a two year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately attain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more extensive training than the ADN. It is typically a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a 2 year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so don’t forget to get in touch with the Alaska board of nursing for any state mandates.
LVN and LPN Training
There are principally two academic credentials available that provide training to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that may be finished in the shortest time frame, commonly about one year, is the certificate or diploma program. The other option is to attain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and commonly require 2 years to complete. The benefit of Associate Degrees, aside from offering a higher credential and more extensive instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the kind of credential you pursue, it needs to be Alaska approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or some other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the syllabus adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that most graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
In contrast to some other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to earn a college degree. CNA training can be received at Bettles Field AK area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the instruction can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, resulting in either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to have at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimal amount of training required and that every state has its own requirements. So it’s crucial to make certain that the training program you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but also those for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the training course is state approved. Along with the training, each state mandates a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be other prerequisites as well.
Nursing Online Degrees
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is becoming a more preferred way to obtain instruction and earn a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more practical approach to finding the free time to attend classes for some Bettles Field AK students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be reduced, helping to make education more affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your job and family obligations have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Colleges
Now that you have selected which nursing degree to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus near Bettles Field AK or online, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you probably are aware, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges throughout Alaska and the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we already pointed out, the location of the school and the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two things that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. In addition to helping ensure that you get a quality education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans, which are often not provided in Bettles Field AK for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an excellent education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing standards for Alaska or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the reviews are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Also, get in touch with the Alaska school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Bettles Field AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a good reputation within the Bettles Field AK healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing as well. Check if the schools have associations with Bettles Field AK hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Enrolling in a Nursing School near Bettles Field AK?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Bettles Field Alaska area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Bettles (Kk’odlel T’odegheelenh Denh in Koyukon) is a city in Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska, United States. It is home to Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve. The population was 12 at the 2010 census.
The city was founded in 1896 during the Alaska Gold Rush. The airstrip that serves the community was built in World War II and is now used for commercial air service. The Hickel Highway was used to transport equipment and supplies to the North Slope for oil exploration, and to build the Dalton Highway, which is now used as a truck route to the oilfields.
Bettles first appeared on the 1930 U.S. Census. At that time, it was located on the north/west side of the Koyukuk River where it meets the John River. This would later be known as "Old Bettles." It would last appear on the 1960 U.S. Census. The "New" Bettles site is 7 miles east of the old settlement and was originally known as Evansville. It is located on the south bank of the Koyukuk River and east of where the John River flows into it. In 1985, a section of unincorporated Evansville was carved out and incorporated as Bettles, and it has appeared on the U.S. Census again beginning in 1990.
Choose the Right Nursing Degree near Bettles Field AK
Choosing the right nursing degree program is probably the most important first step to starting a new career in the medical care field. There are numerous variables that you need to take into account when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, obligations, and financial status. As we have stressed in this post, it is important that you choose a nursing college and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Bettles Field AK.
More Nursing School Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska nursing schools Search results
Nursing - Homestead Schools INC.
List of Courses Courses by Category Print Catalog Accreditations CE Allowed Guest Book Authors Information Continuing Education Courses for Nurses SPECIAL SALE! BEST PRICES EVER!30 Contact Hours For As Little As $39.95!Homestead Schools, Inc. is approved by California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider No. CEP 9515 for the stated contact hours.
Alaska State Information – Symbols, Capital, Constitution ...
The blue field represents the sky, the sea, and mountain lakes, as well as Alaska's wildflowers. Emblazoned on the flag are eight gold stars: seven in the constellation Ursa Major, or the Big Dipper. The eighth being the North Star, representing the northern most state. Alaska adopted the flag for official state use in 1959.
2021 Best Nursing Schools Rankings - National & by State ...
See best nursing schools ranked for 2021 nationally and in your state. Find 2, 4 year schools, and community colleges ranked. 500+ nursing programs. ... There's only 1 school offering nursing programs in Alaska: 1- University of Alaska Anchorage School of Nursing, Anchorage; Best nursing schools in Arizona.
Nursing Schools In Texas For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LVN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Texas nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Texas and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...
Continuing Education Courses and Licensing | Western Schools
Continuing education for healthcare professionals. Quality courses to maintain your license for healthcare nursing, dentists, therapy & more.
Nursing Schools in San Diego, CA || RegisteredNursing.org
Entry-Level ADN, BSN, MSN Programs in San Diego. The San Diego area boasts a number of schools offering direct-entry Associate's Degree in Nursing (), Bachelor's of Science in Nursing and Master's of Science in Nursing programs.No matter where you are on your journey to become a nurse, there's a program out there to help you reach your goals.
Juneau Public Health Center - Alaska Department of Health ...
Juneau, Alaska 99801. Hours. Monday ... In addition to seeing clients in the health center, Juneau Public Health Nursing works with the City and Bureau of Juneau to provide services at three local high schools. The Teen Health Clinics are open once a week for students who are interested in visiting the Public Health Nurse.
2020 Rankings: The 75 Best Nursing Schools in New York ...
The Belanger School of Nursing, formerly known as the Ellis School of Nursing, was one of the first schools in the state to receive a permanent charter in 1917. This hospital-based school offers an associate’s degree in professional nursing conferred by the Ellis Medicine Board of Trustees.
Nursing Schools In California For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LVN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of California nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in California and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer ...
Higher Education Guide | Nursing School Directory | Nurse.com
HIGHER EDUCATION GUIDE FOR NURSING DEGREES. Take the Next Step in Your Nursing Career. Step out of your comfort zone and start your journey toward your next career milestone. Let us help you get started with our comprehensive content on nursing schools, online nursing programs and more.