How to Find the Right Nursing Degree Program near Crooked Creek Alaska
Choosing the right nursing college near Crooked Creek AK may seem like a formidable project, particularly if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Unfortunately, too many prospective students base their decision exclusively on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Going with the least expensive college or the one that is nearest to your house is no doubt not the most reliable way to decide on a nursing program. There are many key additional things to look into before you decide where to attend classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first discuss what the function of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different medical settings, including Crooked Creek AK hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general job is to support doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization along with where they work. A few of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more advanced job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and typically work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
There are multiple degrees to choose from to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or advance to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Crooked Creek AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a two year program offered by community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards attain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more in depth training than the ADN. It is typically a 4 year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a two year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Alaska board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN and LVN Courses
There are basically two academic accreditations offered that provide instruction to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be completed in the shortest time frame, normally about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma course. The 2nd alternative is to obtain a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma alternative and usually require 2 years to finish. The advantage of Associate Degrees, in addition to supplying a higher credential and more extensive instruction, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Regardless of the kind of credential you pursue, it should be Alaska approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or any other national accrediting organization. The NLNAC attests that the course of study adequately prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike many other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not have to earn a college degree. CNA training can be received at Crooked Creek AK area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The length of the training program can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Within the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are required to have at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimal amount of training required and each state has its specific prerequisites. So it’s important to make sure that the course you enroll in not only meets the federal requirements, but additionally those for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing. One recommendation is to contact the health or nursing board for your state to make certain that the education is state certified. Along with the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there may be additional requirements as well.
Nursing Online Schools
Attending nursing programs online is growing into a more favored way to get instruction and attain a nursing degree. Many schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs call for a specified number of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient approach to finding the time to attend school for some Crooked Creek AK students. Pertaining to tuition, many online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more economical. And many online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family obligations have left you with limited time to pursue your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Now that you have chosen which nursing degree to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus near Crooked Creek AK or on the internet, you can utilize the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your options. As you no doubt realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges within Alaska and the United States. So it is essential to decrease the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier pointed out, the site of the school as well as the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. In addition to helping confirm that you receive a quality education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans, which are frequently not offered in Crooked Creek AK for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an exceptional education, but also preps you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for Alaska or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. Additionally, contact the Alaska school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Crooked Creek AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Crooked Creek AK medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Find out if the schools have associations with Crooked Creek AK hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Enrolling in a Nursing School near Crooked Creek AK?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater Crooked Creek Alaska area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
Crooked Creek, Alaska
Crooked Creek (Tevyaraq in Central Alaskan Yup'ik) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Bethel Census Area, Alaska, United States. As of the 2010 census, the population of the CDP was 105, down from 137 in 2000.
The Crooked Creek CDP is located at 61°51′35″N 158°7′44″W / 61.85972°N 158.12889°W / 61.85972; -158.12889 (61.859821, -158.128884) on the north bank of the Kuskokwim River, at the mouth of Crooked Creek in the Kuskokwim Mountains. It is approximately 120 miles (190 km) northeast (upriver) of Bethel.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 107.4 square miles (278.1 km2), of which99.8 square miles (258.5 km2) is land and 7.6 square miles (19.6 km2), or 7.05%, is water.
Select the Right Nursing Degree near Crooked Creek AK
Selecting the ideal nursing degree program is arguably the most important phase to starting a new career in the health care field. There are a number of aspects that you should consider when choosing a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have stressed within this post, it is critical that you pick a nursing school and a degree program that are both accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Crooked Creek AK.
More Nursing School Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska nursing schools Search results
Types of Nursing Careers & Specialties ...
They manage and oversee the nursing staff in medical facilities, design and manage patient care, shape healthcare policies, create healthcare budgets, and more. Experience in both nursing and business is necessary to succeed in the role. They work in places such as hospitals, healthcare organizations, nursing schools, and other facilities.
UA System | University of Alaska System
The University of Alaska is a land-, sea- and space-grant system of higher education established in 1917. The UA system's three universities (UAA, UAF and UAS) are separately accredited institutions with campuses and extended learning centers across the state of Alaska.
Nursing schools see applications rise, despite COVID burnout
Alaska debuts Kraken-themed plane, Sea-Tac updates cell lot, more; News. Nursing schools see applications rise, despite COVID burnout. PAT EATON-ROBB, Associated Press.
Nursing Schools In Florida For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LPN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Florida nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Florida and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...
Best Nursing Schools in Arizona - ADN, BSN, MSN ...
We have ranked the top 10 nursing schools in Arizona by analyzing current and historical NCLEX-RN "pass rates", meaning the percentage of graduates who pass the exam, out of the 33 RN programs in the state. Programs reviewed include schools that offer an Associate in Nursing (ADN/ASN), BSN, or Direct-Entry MSN Degree.
Careers at UA - Jobs - Recent Jobs
The University of Alaska Fairbanks, Rasmuson Library seeks a Science Librarian. This position serves the leading research university in Alaska, and requires an independent, out-going self-starter who is attentive to detail, and who is dedicated to meeting the science information needs of UAF science faculty, staff and students.
Best Colleges for Neonatal Nursing: List of Top Schools
Vanderbilt University in Nashville was ranked #4 on U.S. News and World Report's 2019 listing of best pediatric nursing schools, and the School of Nursing placed 8th in the magazine's national ...
Top Ultrasound Technician Programs 2021 | Accredited ...
University of Alaska Anchorage View School Profile $$ Anchorage, AK 30% 82% UAA offers an ultrasound technician program that leads to an associate of applied science in diagnostic medical sonography. The program welcomes applications from certified and licensed practitioners with recent experience in direct patient care.