How to Pick a Nursing College near West Kill New York
Locating the right nursing program near West Kill NY may feel like a difficult project, especially if you aren’t sure what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently understand, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you need to acquire the necessary education and training to become licensed. So it is critically important that you research and assess the qualifications of each college you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Regrettably, too many potential students base their decision exclusively on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Selecting the least costly college or the one that is closest to your house is probably not the most ideal way to decide on a nursing program. There are several crucial additional considerations to explore before you decide where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first go over what the function of a registered nurse is in our medical care system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in many different medical environments, including West Kill NY hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary function is to assist doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization as well as where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just two years, or continue on to attain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are offered in the West Kill NY area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a two year program offered by community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and afterwards obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more expansive training than the ADN. It is usually a four year program offered at colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a two year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing change from state to state, so make sure to get in touch with the New York board of nursing for any state mandates.
LPN and LVN Certificates and Degrees
There are generally two academic accreditations available that provide training to become either an LPN or an LVN. The one that can be completed in the shortest time frame, commonly about twelve months, is the certificate or diploma program. The second choice is to earn a Practical Nursing Associate Degree. These programs are more comprehensive in nature than the diploma option and generally require 2 years to finish. The benefit of Associate Degrees, aside from offering a higher credential and more in-depth training, are that they furnish more transferable credit toward a Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. No matter the type of credential you pursue, it should be New York approved and accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or another national accrediting organization. The NLNAC guarantees that the course of study effectively prepares students to become Practical Nurses, and that the majority of graduates pass the 50 state required NCLEX-PN licensing exam.
Unlike other licensed nurses, certified nursing assistants do not need to obtain a college degree. CNA training can be obtained at West Kill NY area community colleges or at vocational or trade schools. The duration of the training can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months, leading to either a certificate or a diploma. Under the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act, students are mandated to receive at least 75 hours of instruction, 16 of which have to be clinical or “hands-on” training hours. Bear in mind that this is the minimal amount of training directed and every state has its specific requirements. So it’s important to make certain that the program you enroll in not only fulfills the federal requirements, but likewise those for New York or the state where you will be practicing. One suggestion is to get in touch with the health or nursing board for your state to make sure that the education is state approved. In addition to the training, each state requires a passing score on a competency test for certification. Depending on the state, there can be additional requirements as well.
Online Nursing Schools
Attending nursing schools online is emerging as a more preferred way to obtain training and attain a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs call for a specified number of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more accommodating answer to finding the free time to attend school for many West Kill NY students. Regarding tuition, a number of online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus alternatives. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your job and family commitments have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Colleges
Once you have chosen which nursing program to enroll in, along with whether to attend your classes on campus near West Kill NY or on the web, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you probably realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges within New York and the United States. So it is necessary to reduce the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a workable list. As we already mentioned, the site of the school as well as the expense of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two factors that you will consider. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final decision, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick measures up to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. In addition to helping confirm that you obtain a quality education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans, which are often not offered in West Kill NY for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) in addition to graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also preps you to satisfy the minimum licensing standards for New York or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check internet rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Also, check with the New York school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some West Kill NY healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the West Kill NY medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Find out if the schools have associations with West Kill NY hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Enrolling in a Nursing School near West Kill NY?
Perhaps you have already made your decision to attend a Nursing Program in the greater West Kill New York area. If that is the case, then the following information may prove to be both educational and useful regarding the location of your future Alma Mater.
The West Kill, an 11-mile-long (18 km)tributary of Schoharie Creek, flows across the town of Lexington, New York, United States, from its source on Hunter Mountain, the second-highest peak of the Catskills. Ultimately its waters reach the Hudson River via the Mohawk. Since it drains into the Schoharie upstream of Schoharie Reservoir, it is part of the New York City water supply system. It lends its name to both a mountain to its south and a small town midway along its length.
The West Kill's 31.2-square-mile (81 km2)watershed accounts for 10% of the Schoharie basin and is located at the southern end of that creek's watershed. It has the highest elevations and steepest slopes of any of the Schoharie's subwatersheds, with runoff from seven of the thirty-five Catskill High Peaks draining into the stream. Due to limited development and extensive land protection in the stream's watershed, its water is relatively clean, supporting a habitat for both wild and stocked trout; historically it has drawn fly fishers and other anglers. However, the West Kill has contributed to turbidity issues with the Schoharie creek and reservoir due to recent floods; several government agencies have worked together to develop a management plan that will mitigate the floods and the turbidity.
Two streams that later join rise in the cirque between Hunter and Southwest Hunter mountains, amidst the dense forests of the West Kill Wilderness Area, part of the Catskill Park. The source of the northern stream is at 3,100 feet (940 m), the higher of the two. It flows through a narrow groove down the steep upper slopes of the cirque for its first quarter-mile (400 m).
Choose the Right Nursing Degree near West Kill NY
Deciding on the right nursing college is arguably the most crucial phase to launching a new career in the medical care industry. There are many factors that you must consider when picking a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have pointed out in this post, it is essential that you choose a nursing school and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the healthcare community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in West Kill NY.
More Nursing School Locations in New York
Bing: New York nursing schools Search results
2021 Best Nursing Schools in New York - Niche
The Best Colleges for Nursing ranking is based on key statistics and student reviews using data from the U.S. Department of Education. The ranking compares the top nursing schools in the U.S. Read more on how this ranking was calculated.
Nursing License in New York | Requirements for LPN and RN ...
In addition to the standard nursing coursework, a New York RN needs education or training in child abuse and in infection control. A nurse who does the education in New York can expect to have this included in the program, but an out of state nurse will generally need to do additional training.
20 Best Nursing Schools in New York - (2021 Rankings)
Nursing Schools in New York - 2021 Rankings In 2017, New York passed a law that requires all nurses to obtain a baccalaureate degree in nursing within 10 years of receiving their initial RN license. (Currently licensed nurses are exempt from this requirement and will be grandfathered into the system at their existing level of education.) Nurse ...
New York State Education Department
The New York State Education Department is part of the University of the State of New York (USNY), one of the most complete, interconnected systems of educational services in the United States.
LPN Programs in New York | Accredited Schools Online
Top LPN Programs in New York Methodology + Lpn Programs The top LPN programs listed in this state's ranking were determined by comparison of three primary, equally-weighted criteria including Student-to-faculty ratio In-state tuition Graduation rate Additional details for each school were included: Count of programs available Public and not-for-profit schools Normalized on a 100 percent curve ...
Nursing Schools and Programs | NursingSchools.com
The cost of nursing school at larger public and private universities is much higher reaching up to $50,000 per year for 2019 at the top nursing schools in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Nearly One-Third of U.S. Coronavirus ... - The New York Times
The New York Times is tracking the coronavirus at nursing homes and long-term care centers. Do you or a family member live or work in one of these facilities? If so, we would like to hear from you .
2021 - Best 86 Nursing Schools in New York - Rankings for ...
New York City College of Technology is located in Brooklyn, New York. They offer both an associate’s degree in nursing and a bachelor’s degree in nursing. The BSN program is available to students holding either an associate’s degree or diploma nursing certificate, so it is actually an RN to BSN program.
High Schools in New York City Public Schools District ...
New York City Public Schools contains 520 high schools. For comprehensive and personalized admissions consulting,consider Crimson Education. Services like mentoring, essay guidance and tutoring ...
Best High Schools in New York - US News
#4 Queens High School for the Sciences at York College 94-50 159th St, Jamaica, New York 11451 # 5 Bronx High School of Science 75 W 205th St, Bronx, New York 10468